thepityscene

Charmayne reads

goodreads refugee (still trying this out though!) A huge fan of quality YA and fantasy/-adventure. Also, 3AM reading sprees are the best.

Untitled (Shatter Me, #3)
Tahereh Mafi
SPOILER ALERT!

Divergent

Divergent  - Veronica Roth It's so hard to review books that are really good!

Divergent is basically a dystopian novel by debut writer Veronica Roth. The world in Divergent is split into five factions, Amity, Abnegation, Candor, Dauntless and Erudite. The friendly, the selfless, the honest, the brave and the intelligent. When Beatrice Prior (Tris) turns 16 she has two choices: stay in Abnegation with her family or split ties with them and join a new faction (which she does-Dauntless). During her initiation, things become complicated when she discovers that she is divergent and she has the ability to be immune to simulations and manipulate them to her own advantage- something that the Erudite and Dauntless leaders are determined to exterminate.

I think Veronica Roth is my new hero. Her writing style seems flawless and almost every character was developed really well. I really like the main character, Tris. Although she isn't flawless, she's not whiny, too-tough or painfully shallow unlike lots of female YA protagonists in YA novels nowadays. Tris's relationship with Four is slow in the beginning but it actually has chemistry. Yay for slow building relationships! cough unlike where the guy watches the girl while she sleeps cough And I can't help but imagine Four as Tom Felton in the end- you know, Tobias.

Overall, Divergent is close to amazing- I'd give it 4.5 stars. I can't wait for Insurgent, and since I suck at giving stellar reviews I'll just stop here hahaha.